Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love Your Neighbor

Wow!  What a tough message to give this past Sunday, but truly a message that is clearly one of God's favorites.  Why?  Because, Jesus summed the Law into two commandments.  The first and greatest command is that humans are to love the Lord their God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength.  The second is like it:  humans are to love their neighbors as they love themselves.

If Jesus stressed the importance of loving our neighbors, should we not take it seriously?  I know that this thing called "faith" is merely expressed in relationship:  a relationship with God that is to be first and foremost in our lives, and then relationships with the no-so-perfect human neighbors God brings into our lives.  And the hard part for us to grasp is this:  How we treat our neighbor is how we treat God.  We can't say we love God, but hate our neighbor.  Instead, by loving our neighbor, we prove and show God we love Him.

So, I personally feel it's much more important for me to show my love through actions than to simply express my love through words.  And the best way to show this love is in how I treat my neighbors, even those who hurt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment